Take a look at our 2016 Youth Waterfowl Hunting Highlight Video
Located in the Mississippi River bottoms, Gardner Camp is a haven for migrating waterfowl and a waterfowl hunter's dream. Our location and habitat management make this Camp the area's best waterfowl hunting spot for youth. Three wells and numerous water control structures situated throughout the property ensures our ability to precisely flood and adjust water depths in ten different wetland management units. Two of these units are flooded corn fields and the remaining eight units are natural moist soil lakes covered with wild millet, smartweed and other duck food delights. In managing our natural moist soil units, we let the water do the work--wet in the Spring, dry in the Summer and wet in the Fall and Winter--so that native wetland vegetation grows and produces seeds. In fact, it is estimated that one acre of moist soil managed habitat can produce food for 1,000 ducks!
Our youth waterfowl hunts are one-of-a-kind hunts specifically focused on youth. Our instructors are experienced waterfowlers who focus on teaching youth in the blind about the entire process. Hundreds of top of the line decoys, mojos, duck trolleys and ice eaters are setup and ready for youth to get their first duck. We have two wood-frame 10-man blinds that sit over the water and one fully-outfitted pit hidden in the middle of flooded corn. Our weekend itinerary typically includes safety briefings, side-by-side transportation to the blind, hot breakfasts in the blind, plenty of hunting time, watching the dog retrieve, learning how to clean birds, lunch in Gardner Hall and a campfire.
Currently, we work through the following partner organizations to communicate and offer our youth hunting opportunities. Please contact the organizational contacts below or Gardner Camp at 217/432-1999 or email@example.com if you have an interest.
- Delta Waterfowl—West Central Illinois Chapter--Jacob Carr, Chapter President 217/653-6368
- Ducks Unlimited--Jim King, IL Regional Director at 217/553-1463- or firstname.lastname@example.org or Todd Carlton, MO Regional Director at 573/893-7449 email@example.com
- Mississippi Valley Hunters and Fishermen’s Association, Quincy--Robby Kimbrell, Youth Coordinator 217/617-3325
- Pike Calhoun Sportsmen’s Club, Pleasant Hill--Joe Buchanan, President 217/491-0232 or Bill Burdick, VP 217/491-0778
- Whitetails Unlimited—Twin Rivers Chapter, Bowling Green, MO--Jerry Hickerson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Back to Mentored Youth Hunting